* Peel the lime peel thinly and briefly boil (blanch) in a little water.
* Remove the peel from the ginger and chop finely.
* Rinse chili peppers and also chop finely.
* Bring sugar and lime juice together to a boil and caramelize, stirring heartily.
* Add ginger and chili pieces and blanched lime zest strips and cook, stirring, perhaps adding a tiny bit more lime juice.
Season well with salt and freshly ground pepper.
* Cool and serve with thin pita bread.
Recipe: Horst Voss, Ocean Bay Hotel, Gambia